wireless security cameras revisited

From: warchildat_private
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 17:01:48 PDT

    Greetings,

    This is a follow up to the URL below (sorry, I don't have the original
    email) --

    http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/82/270492/2002-04-29/2002-05-05/1

    I know of at least one company/vendor deploying security camera "devices"
    that operate on their own private RFC1918 networks.  Unfortunately, I have
    yet to physically see the device -- my only encounter(s) with it have been
    on "war rides" (riding on the train -- another play on "war dialing"), and
    at that, I can only assume it is a camera because of the following:

    	-- its ssid is "camera2lotd"  (camera number 2, in lot d)
    	-- when I pass the device on the train, the train is passing a bunch of
    		commuter pay parking lots in a shady part of town

    I don't know who owns these parking lots, or who manufactures these camera
    systems, so I have been unable to contact anyone else about this.  Should
    the opportunity present itself, I'll investigate this particular location
    further to see what, exactly, this device is.  The only clue I have so far
    is the MAC address from the camera which appears to originate from Agere
    based cards.

    My question is, does anyone happen to know of any camera installations that
    operate like this?  For all I know, it could very well be a custom
    "solution" which includes a PC and a Logitech Quick-cam, but I don't think
    that is the case here.

    Thanks in advance,

    -jon

    (PS.  Yes, this method of wireless investigation is rather interesting.
    You cover large areas of land quite quickly.  In addition to the wireless
    devices of other people on the train, you get traffic from all sorts of
    interesting locations including CVS, City Hall (2 Cisco 340's), APs in the
    middle of the woods, large office complexes, and bizarre traffic in the
    middle of the train yard.)