Re: [7.8.2002 44916] Notice of Copyright Infringement]

From: Mark C. Langston (markat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 10:48:14 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 07:11:26AM -0500, Seymour, Keith wrote:
    > While I don't agree with Threatening letters from large corp reps it's
    > better than what it could be. Maybe you should all take a minute and let
    > your congressman know how you feel on this issue:

    I wholeheartedly agree.  There's another potential measure that could
    be taken, to "muddy the waters", as it were.  Some of you may be
    familiar with the efforts the RIAA has taken to seed the various P2P
    networks with files designed to deceive the potential downloader into
    believing they are full, copyrighted works (see
    http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/06/0229236.shtml?tid=141
    http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/07052002e.php ).

    One could imagine a scenario in which P2P users begin distributing
    "fake" files named provocatively, such that one is led to believe they
    contain full copyrighted movie or television works, but in reality
    contain static, or perhaps more appropriately someone reading the
    text of the decision in the Betamax case.

    The technique that the RIAA employs via Overpeer is useful to them,
    because they know exactly what files were seeded, and exactly how
    they were named.  Rather than attempt to plug the sieve, they've
    attempted to poison the well.  If the P2P community were to turn
    the tables on a group like the MPAA by employing similar tactics,
    the group may find it difficult to pursue cases based on a list of
    provocative filenames.

    It's not difficult to imagine these tactics, on both sides, being
    the first blows in an escalating arms race of content obfuscation.
    Eventually, we may see the P2P community availing themselves of
    other tactics used by the media conglomerates, such as embedding
    weak encryption into the files being shared, so that only those
    with the appropriate key can view or listen to the files.  This
    key could be kept suitably "secret", distributed only to the
    group of people "authorized" to have the key, in much the same
    way the CSS scheme works today.  It would be interesting to
    see if the DMCA could be applied from either side of the street
    in such an instance.

    --
    Mark C. Langston
    markat_private