Re: [7.8.2002 44916] Notice of Copyright Infringement]

From: Clint Byrum (cbyrumat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 12:35:55 PDT

    On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 14:50, SlyFly007at_private wrote:
    > That is completely lame.  I understand that Cox has the right to monitor,
    <snip>

    Cox didn't monitor this guy. The MPAA and/or Copyright.org did. Gnutella
    is a "public" network(that rides on another public network... the
    internet) So I'm sure they do searches for "Harry Potter", record the IP
    addresses, and send out these notices. Heck, they probably have their
    own magic gnutella client that does this for them.

    Cox is just complying. Can't say I blame them.

    If you want to distribute copyrighted material.. get a box offshore with
    a satellite link. ;)