Insecure Online Update with quicktime?

From: Kai Kretschmann (K.Kretschmann@security-gui.de)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 06:18:44 PDT

    Hi there,

    following the thread about insecure online updates of MacOS-X, how about
    the online update of the Quicktime 6 player?
    It seems to connect the same way, only making a simple GET request without
    https or similar ways.
    The reply is simple xml structure with embedded downloadlinks and checksums.
    If I would get that far to make my own reply I could for shure make my own
    download links and checksums. A sample reply is attached.

    Isn't the quicktime using community a much bigger target than MacOS-X users?

    bye,

    --
    Think-Safety
    www.security-gui.de