Re: VANED LABS: icecast filesystem disclosure

From: mattat_private
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 13:25:58 PDT

    >Icecast allows for remote probing of the underlying
    >filesystem structure.  (on a side note, this can also
    be used to list
    >files with a .mp3 extension anywhere on the system.
    send_file() does do
    >traversal checking.)

    Just an FYI: maybe Icecast has further info about this,
    but I think it might be a good idea to 'jail' Icecast
    if possible.

    A little while back I wrote a paper describing how to
    do that specifically with Icecast.  You'll have to
    search for 'icecast' in the following page to get to
    the walkthrough.

    http://www.palecrow.com/chroot-jail-paper.html

    If they haven't already, I'd like it if Icecast
    developers would incorporate the ability to jail the
    server during the install, as a further protection
    against bad inputs and file snooping.

    Thanks!

    Matt Borland