Re: Smashing the Stack?

From: Kim Reece (sorelat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 13:55:39 PDT

    > That article is from 1996. About that time 16bit machines were state of
    > the art. Nowadays, we work on 32bit systems. Along with doubling the
    > bits, the alignment of variables in memory changed too. From 4Byte to
    > 8...
    >
    > At least that's what I'd think it is... Correct me if I'm wrong.
    > (last messed with c/asm a year ago :-) )

    If i recall correctly, the purpose of 4-byte allignment is to extend the
    range for some of the intel addressing modes.  The end result at the
    how-bits-fit-in-the-instruction level was that the last two bits could be
    implicit in these addresses, which expanded the range by a factor of 4.
    This aspect of the instruction format has not been changed in their 32 bit
    architectures, therefore i see no reason why they would have moved to
    8-byte allignment.  Then again, my computer architecture class could have
    had totally wrong specs for the pentiums, anything is possible.