Re: ssh trojaned

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 12:06:04 PDT

    Your safest bet is going to be to get new clean source, it's supposed to
    have been updated today and recompile and push it out.  The trojaned code
    is supposed to have hit the openssh site withn the last 2-3 days, limiting
    the exposure to only those that in that time frame scarfed up the trojaned
    code.  Analysis of the trojaned codes seems to indicate this nasty runs in
    the background all the while the trojaned sshd is up, so, I would get new
    source and recompile and push.  Far better to be safe than sorry.

    Thanks,

    Ron Dufresne

    On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Steve Wright wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm no programmer so I'm hoping someone can confirm this for me..
    > I am correct in thinking the trojan currently in OpenSSH portable 3.4p1 only
    > runs during compilation ?
    >
    > ie a copy of ssh compiled using this source will not have anything nasty
    > build into it ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve.

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.