RE: Comment on DMCA, Security, and Vuln Reporting

From: Burton M. Strauss III (bstrauss3at_private)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 15:02:51 PDT

    Maybe and maybe not.

    Firstly, I'm not a lawyer... but...

    Truth: The DMCA is - albeit not fully tested in the courts - the law of the
    land (USA) until such time as the courts speak.  Plus, if it's like most
    laws, it will be subject to a series of decisions as the courts struggle to
    find a balance between two opposing positions.  Meaning?  It may not be
    clear for years - if ever...

    European?  Don't be so smug until you read the EU directive on copyrights...
    http://www.eurorights.org/eudmca/ - at least as an American I can fight it
    in court, call and yell at my CongressCritter, etc.

    Second, despite what you all wish, the 1st Amendment (to the US
    Constitution) is not absolute.

    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
    prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
    or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
    petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    A great discussion is at
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/

    Remember, this is "Congress shall" - it says NOTHING about and provides NO
    LIMITS for private limits on speech.  And, even with the explicit wording of
    the 1st amendment, there have long been recognized exceptions.  From Whitney
    v. California, 274 U.S. 357, 375 -76 (1927) (Justice Brandeis concurring):

    "But, although the rights of free speech and assembly are fundamental, they
    are not in their nature absolute. Their exercise is subject to restriction,
    if the particular restriction proposed is required in order to protect the
    State from destruction or from serious injury, political, economic or
    moral."

    This leads to accepted limits where "free speech" is:

    - Against public policy, e.g. obscene material, child por*******y (as
    differentiated from regular old por*******y), etc.
    - Libel and Slander
    - etc.

    People frequently forget that there is whole category of speech, "Commercial
    speech" which is entitled to much weaker protection.  Discussed at
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/17.html

    "Commercial Speech .--In recent years, the Court's treatment of ''commercial
    speech'' has undergone a transformation, from total nonprotection under the
    First Amendment to qualified protection."
    <snip />
    "While commercial speech is entitled to First Amendment protection, the
    Court has clearly held that it is not wholly undifferentiable from other
    forms of expression; it has remarked on the commonsense differences between
    speech that does no more than propose a commercial transaction and other
    varieties."

    Don't think this is relevant... what about "Our XYZ OS is the most secure OS
    in the Solar System"?  Or "One remote hole in the default install, in nearly
    6 years!"?  Trade claims and such may well make it commercial??

    Another restriction?  You can - as part of a valid contract - give up your
    1st Amendment rights, for example by accepting employment with the
    government you may give up the right to say certain things.  Or the famous
    EULA's which prohibit publication of disparaging comments about the
    software...

    Let's face it - the only thing you can do is to vote with your feet and
    dollars (euros, pesos, whatever).  Don't like the restrictions in the EULA -
    don't use the software.  Don't like a vendor's policy on "full disclosure" -
    find another vendor.

    -----Burton