Re: ssh trojaned

From: Nick Lange (nicklangeat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 10:51:24 PDT

    I'm not so sure I buy that.

    After the initial insertion into the mirrored network, how many times is the
    file updated? I can't imagine terribly frequently except for when a new
    release is offered and hence another entry into the network.
    So this leads to lack of trusting in two situations: new entries, or entries
    modified after insertion. New entries eventually have to be given implicit
    trust at some point, [for example, on top of the new entry in the system of
    mirrors, the webpage being updated stating there's a new release, the
    checksums involved, not to mention an e-mail signed by the author - the
    probability of some third party falsifying all three items is much lower
    than the corruption of any one of them individually( well at least in
    openssh's case where the main distribution site and the e-mail acct are on
    different machines ). Once again, eventually you have to make a trust
    decision before installing any foreign code that you have not inspected
    yourself, but automated tools can increase the probability that poisoned
    files inserted into a network of mirrors are caught.
    Granted most mirrors are synced via rsync, but perhaps the mirroring
    software can be tuned to not update the accepted file suffix of a file
    signature except for at specified intervals; so whereas the poisoned file
    will propogate through the network of mirrors, the signature will not;
    furthermore, if this yet-to-exist tool operates on a more frequent interval
    than the signature updating sync'ing does, then the poisoned files can be
    caught fairly quickly.
    Nick