Exploiting cross-domain scripting vulnerabilities?

From: Alla Bezroutchko (allaat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 04:54:44 PDT

    Hello all,

    Quite a few browser vulnerabilities (BugTraq ID 5473 - Web Folders HTML
    injection - being the latest) allow a web site to execute HTML code in
    "Local Computer" security zone. At least those bugs allow a web site to
    read local files. My question is: is there anythign else you can do with
    this type of bug? Like running arbitrary commands?

    Usually you have a piece of text of limited size that you can inject.
    This rules out Java applets as far as I understand. Wscript.Shell
    ActiveX control also seems to be a problem because IE shows a dialog box
    saying something about unsafe ActiveX controls. So is there anything
    else interesting one can do with cross-domain scripting?

    Alla.