Re: More on Shatter

From: Dragos Ruiu (drat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 08:33:12 PDT

    Filtering and lookups in tables can be computationally
    intensive tasks. And parsing every message to weed
    out some is not only potentially slow, but could be
    a cure worse than the disease... because it might
    break potentially sloppy code in some critical app...

    The added latency might be a serious issue in a time
    critical place like a *timer* service (or message) routine.

    Windows already has a bad rep as far as latency and
    predictability, and this kind of band-aid might exacerbate
    the already existing issue for some applications that
    try to do real-time things (as I wager most applications
    using timers do).

    Yep, this is a hard problem. The real solution is not to
    pass the call back in this way, but such is the curse of the
    pre-defined API you have to maintain backwards compatibility
    with. Maybe another few hundered MB of code might fix
    it? :-) Probably not.  If it's any consolation there are some
    similar locked into stone API architectural issues in
    things like POSIX too that ought to be fixed but
    cannot while retaining backwards compatibility - though
    perhaps not of this magnitude of impact.

    As much as it seems easy to bash MS for this one, it isn't
    their fault some applications are lame :-). Though it seems
    to me they *should* fix the default handler for WM_TIMER
    in DefWindowProc() to avoid the arbitrary callback use but
    I don't know enough to say whether this too would break a
    lot of stuff since someone at MS who probably knows more
    about this seems to think this is a bad idea.

    So putting in good WM_TIMER message handlers in applications
    has to be added to the long list of things that a good Win32
    app developer *has* to do. And checking the handler has
    to stay on the Q/A and pen-test engineer's checklist because
    we know some applications programmers won't know enough
    or be dilligent enough to do this.

    cheers,
    --dr

    --