RE: More on Shatter

From: Kayne Ian (Softlab) (Ian.Kayneat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 03:38:31 PDT

    Latency for the WM_TIMER message is irrelevant. Depending on your o/s it
    will only fire around once every 50ms anyway, and it's a low priority
    compared to other messages. Therefore if your machine is working under heavy
    load, and you code an app to fire WM_TIMER's at every 50ms, your WM_TIMERS
    might only get fired once every 200ms. Or 1000ms. Or 10 minutes. It's
    undefined. As a sidenote, Windows will drop WM_TIMER messages that fall
    outside the boundary - ie: if your WM_TIMER is set to fire every 100ms, and
    due to processor load it takes > 100ms to get round to processing the
    current WM_TIMER, it will be discarded. In other words, you'll never receive
    2 WM_TIMERS in succession, and they don't stack up in the queue.

    If you're after high resolution timers, you need to use
    QueryPerformanceFrequency() counters.

    There are a couple of things MS can do to "assist". I'm typing as I think of
    them. First of all, implement a source keying system. The code required for
    this would be minimal. Add an extra member to the WNDCLASSEX struct. This
    could tell win32api to generate a GUID for this application instance. Then,
    unless this GUID is included as an "extra" LPARAM (say, GPARAM?)with all WM_
    in the loop, and it matches the GUID in the WNDCLASSEX, the message is
    discarded. It could be a default param & struct member of NULL, which would
    keep compatability with existing apps. Because it's registered in the
    WNDCLASS, Windows could just add it to the WM_PAINT et al as required.
    Second, MS could really handle the DefWindowProc() better. This would also
    not break existing apps, but adding some controls to filter the source would
    be a major bonus - why the hell would another app legitimately inject WM_ to
    the messageloop only to have them handled by DefWindowProc().

    With regard to the updated Shatter doc, saying that "it's unfixable" is
    crap. Saying that "People are gonna disagree with that one, I know" is very
    true, because calling it unfixable is wrong.

    Oh also, to the comment "Important servers/workstations should NOT use
    win32". What, precisely, should they use instead of win32api? MagicAPI,
    perhaps?

    Ian Kayne
    <Opinons are my own>

    they are addressed.

    If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
    delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
    this email in error and that any use of the information contained within
    this email or attachments is strictly prohibited.

    Internet communications are not secure and Softlab does not accept
    any legal responsibility for the content of this message. Any opinions
    expressed in the email are those of the individual and not necessarily
    those of the Company.

    If you have received this email in error, or if you are concerned with
    the content of this email please notify the IT helpdesk by telephone
    on +44 (0)121 788 5480.