Re: Secure Yahoo logins

From: Chris Caydes (chris_caydesat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 09:53:18 PDT

    Well, Alan seems to have the same kind of information
    as me on this...
    If it is confirmed that the newer versions of the
    Yahoo Messenger protocol do not transmit the password
    in plain text, then users should all upgrade their
    Messenger and use the ymsg10 or ymsg9 protocol. This
    should probably answer Jeremy's concerns.
    Even then, it does not change a thing for the security
    of the data transmitted after login, including screen
    name, aliases, buddy list, and messages, but at least
    the newer versions of Yahoo seem at a same level of
    (in)security as the other major IM programs.

    As far as I am concerned, I am not confident in
    letting people use IM programs in a corporate
    environment.
    I would much more confident with a corporate IM system
    (with an internal IM server), that would eventually
    include a gateway to external servers (Yahoo, MSN,
    etc.) The architecture of Instant Messaging services
    in a corporate environment would then be similar to
    the architecture of e-mail : an internal e-mail server
    with user accounts, and an e-mail gateway to the
    Internet. This sounds much better than deploying POP3
    clients and giving everyone in the company a Yahoo
    Mail account, doesn't it ?
    I have heard of a IM server for enterprises : "Akonix
    L7". Has anyone successfully deployed this product ?
    Any interesting experiences to share ?

    Regards
    Chris