Re: GIFs Good, Flash Executable Bad [Was: Plain text files in internet explorer]

From: Gerhard den Hollander (gerhardat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 00:25:26 PDT

    * Roland Postle <mailat_private> (Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 06:54:06PM +0100)
    > > GIFs can't exploit your
    > > system.  Flash files can, just like any executable.
    >
    > This myth that static data files such as gifs, jpegs and zip files
    > /can't/ exploit your system really gets to me. Virus scanners continue
    > to scan only 'active' content, but some applications are in such
    > widespread use now that it's only a matter of time before a
    > vulnerability in say, Winzip's file handling, is exploited in a virus
    > that infects .zip files. Or a vulnerability in IE's jpeg module that
    > allows jpegs to carry viruses. It's not 'just like any executable', but
    > it's not automatically safe either.

    There have been mp3s that exploited a buffer overflow in mp3 tag parsing.

    Currently listening to: CD Audio Track  8

    	Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
    --
       __O	An all I can say is that my lifes is pretty plain
     =`\<,	You don't like my point of view, you think that I'm insane