Office 97 Word document vulnerability

From: Young, Brandon (Brandon.Youngat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 16:58:51 PDT

    All,

    Has anyone tested this to determine if this exploit (http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/289268 ) will insert the
    whole file or just it's contents. To be more specific, would it be possible to use this exploit to get an end user to
    send you a copy of their PWL or SAM file (from repair directory)?

    From the information I have seen, it is unclear as to exactly how the content is attached to the malicious document,
    whether it is only including a copy of the actual text or of it is treating the file as an attachment. I plan to test
    this next week (hopefully) but thought I'd check to see if any of you have beaten me the punch.

    Thanks,
    Brandon