Re: CROSS SITE-SCRIPTING Protection with PHP

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 20:08:07 PDT

    On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:41:34 -0000, Astalavista Baby <infoat_private>  said:
    > like to see more and better ways ?!
    >
    > My idea: ( I think this is not safe enough?)
    >
    > function make_clean($value){
    >   $value = htmlspecialchars($value)
    >   $value = str_replace("%2B", "", $value);
    >   .... more ..
    >   return $value;
    > }

    Wrong.

    You're filtering "known illegal" out, rather than refusing to pass only
    probably legal characters through.  You can enumerate %2B, ... more ...
    and you're still totally screwed to the wall if you missed one (and remember
    that all the Unicode exploits are basically "missed one").  Worse yet,
    you're screwed to the wall if you have a complete list, but at a later date
    somebody finds  a new and creative way to use a character (did you know that
    some Unix shells treat the ^ caret as equivalent to | pipe? ;)

    I don't do PHP, but the pseudocode *should* be:

    function make_clean($value) {
        legalchars = "[a-z][A-Z][0-9] "; // allow letters number space only
        for each char in $value
           if char not in legalchars
           then char=' ';  // bogus char? Make it a blank
        end for;
    }

    Somebody finds a way to use doublequote to inject bad data?  Somebody finds
    a way to use asterisks or %2B?  No problem - they weren't in my legalchars
    list to start with.

    Remember - don't filter known bad chars.  Filter *everything* *but* known good.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer