Re: CROSS SITE-SCRIPTING Protection with PHP

From: Sverre H. Huseby (shhat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 09:06:51 PDT

    The new platform could also make it harder for someone to pass bogus
    data by:

      * Always removing 0-bytes from input (input is typically URLs and
        their parameters, POSTed data and HTTP headers (including
        cookies)).

      * Force input fetching through some validation function, eg:

          request.form.getInteger("foo", 0, 100)

        to have an integer between 0 and 100, rather than

          request.form.get("foo")

        and then do proper error handling automatically (abort and log if
        the parameter was not supposed to be tampered with, redisplay form
        with an error message if data was supposed to be typed in by a user).

      * Automatically providing tamper control (eg. message digests) to
        data that are not supposed to be tampered with.

      * Automatically checking the length of input where possible.

    To make everything even more automatic, the system could start with a
    high level definition of all objects (and possibly all web pages).
    Given this definition (these definitions), one could automatically
    generate database tables, type checking code, length cheching code,
    form input fields and so on.

    I'm not sure how to do all this, but I'm sure someone will be able to
    do it.

    Sverre.

    --
    shhat_private		Computer Geek?  Try my Nerd Quiz
    http://shh.thathost.com/	http://nerdquiz.thathost.com/