Re: Hashes,File protection,etc

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 09:27:39 PDT

    On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:39:50 BST, Roland Postle <mailat_private>  said:

    >    MD5 has an output of 128 bits, which I think is too small for
    >  good security.  A collision can be found by brute force in 2**64
    >  operations.

    Assuming 10,000 trials a second, this will take 58,494,242 cpu *years*.
    (an 'md5sum' of a 17M file on my laptop takes 0.110 seconds on a 1.6G Pentium4,
    so 10K/sec trials of 17K texts is "in the ballpark" - even assuming a processor
    that's 10x faster gets you down only to 5M cpu-years).

    And notice that this is "a collision".  At that point, you have 2 essentially
    random plaintexts that happen to have the same MD5 hash, and said hash is
    unrelated to anything else.  Most likely, neither one resembles *in the
    slightest* something "reasonable" (for instance, if you're expecting a 1.8M
    source tarball, it should be in tar format and somewhere near 1.8M in size).
    Forcing a collision to *a specific known hash* is a lot harder - and at that
    point you'll probably still have an essentially random file.  And unlike
    beating a CRC-32, there's probably no efficient way to take a *given* file, and
    find a way to *modify* that file and still maintain the SAME md5sum.

    And remember that 58 million CPU years is *per collision*.  Are there *any*
    targets who's threat model *really* includes this?  Probably not for private
    individuals - there's cheaper ways to do it (Marcus Ranum's "rubber hose
    cryptography" and related methods).  Inter-bank encryption codes?  If they
    change them once per year, you'll need a 50 million CPU machine for it to
    do you any good.  I suspect even nuclear launch codes can be obtained with
    less investment of resources....

    So - do *YOU* have anything secured by an md5sum that's worth 58 million
    cpu-years to break?  If you don't, then md5 is 'secure enough'.  If you do,
    I hope you have all the physical security issues and personnel security
    issues dealt with... :)
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer