RE: Hashes,File protection,etc

From: Michael Wojcik (Michael.Wojcikat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 11:25:20 PDT

    I agree with this assessment, and your entire post on the subject, but some
    vuln-dev readers may be interested in the following:

    Gideon Yuval describes a Birthday Paradox attack on a hash function that has
    a useful result.  Alice and Bob are going to sign a contract.  Alice
    prepares two versions of the contract, one with the correct terms and one
    with terms of her choosing.  She picks N/2 points in each contract that can
    be varied in binary fashion without changing the sense of the text - a
    variant spelling ("grey" vs "gray"), for example.  (N is the bit length of
    the digest.)  Then she hashes both documents, iterating through the 2**(N/2)
    versions of each until she gets a collision.  She has Bob sign the proper
    contract in its colliding version, and then she uses the colliding version
    of the improper contract to "prove" Bob signed it instead.

    Obviously this is still impractical with current technology etc etc, and as
    described there's an easy fix in at least this situation (Bob makes a
    cosmetic change to the contract before he signs it).  All this is from
    Schneier, AC2, 18.1.

    It doesn't cover the precise situation you describe, either, since the
    attacker can't vary both the "good" and "evil" preimages, just the evil one.
    (If the attacker can make changes to, say, sendmail.tar.gz before its MD5
    hash gets posted, we have bigger problems, eh?)

    But this is an example of a protocol that uses a birthday attack to
    accomplish something, anyway.

    Michael Wojcik
    Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus