Re[2]: UserID and hashed password for Lotus Domino

From: Philip Storry (philat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 09:57:58 PDT

    Hello Nicolas,

    NG> From http://www.cqure.net/tools04.html :

    NG>         IPR is a tool for recovering passwords on Lotus Notes ID files.
    NG>         It does this by guessing passwords you supply in a dictionary
    NG>         file. It guesses approximately 400-500 passwords a second on a
    NG>         PIII 1Ghz.

    Well, well, well.

    I go and say I've never seen such a tool, and when I send/receive my
    email I find someone just gives me one.

    I'd like to state, for the record, that I've never had a stranger
    give me 20 million pounds for no apparent reason.

    (Hey, can't blame a guy for trying! *grins*)

    You'll need a dictionary file for this - I recommend Moby, available
    here:
    http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/research/ilash/Moby/

    There's plenty of words in there, but I'm sure others have their own
    recommendations.

    As a side note, this appears to work by brute-force through the Notes
    C API. Even minor obfuscation of a password - such as adding a letter
    to the end of it - would make a dictionary usless. Unless you want to
    create a dictionary with every possible combination in it, that is...

    Still, it's interesting to see that. As a Domino professional, it
    verifies to me that the password is hashed and stored, and that there
    is no way to get it except via the Lotus/BSAFE API's.

    Most interesting...

    --
    Best regards,
     Philip                            mailto:philat_private