Re: Covert Channels

From: Roland Postle (mailat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 14:20:46 PDT

    On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:46:21 -0400 (EDT), Michal Zalewski wrote:

    >All low-level attacks (buffer overflows, etc) can be told from legitimate
    >traffic.

    I disagree. How do you detect an attack (involving a low level buffer
    overflow etc..) that rides inside an encrypted session? In theory you
    give the IDS info about all the encrypted communications you expect to
    happen, give it all your keys (including session keys on the fly) so it
    can make a desicion about whether there's an intrusion taking place.
    But it's not practical. Getting at session keys means integrating the
    IDS tightly into all your applications that might want to send/recieve
    encrypted data. And then what is it but just another part of your
    application, prone to vulnerabilities and open to attack. I'm no expert
    on IDSs so I don't know how they tackle this problem currently, but I'm
    sure you can no longer have the traditional isolated IDS on an
    impregnable host silently watching your entire network.

    The issue of covert channels riding on an encrypted communication is
    something I believe was mentioned at the begining of this thread, but I
    for one, had forgotten all about it. How do you stop me smuggling the
    entire Windows source tree out of the Microsoft network when as an
    employee I'm allowed to initiate secure HTTP connections to external
    websites? I don't even need cover traffic, once I've pretended to
    access my website, exchanged keys and entered encrypted mode I can send
    my source code as is. Provided I send it in bursts to mimic a browsing
    session I could reasonably transmit many megabytes an hour. In other
    words I /can/ send arbtrary raw binary data on port 443, and you can't
    have a rule to stop me. Agreed, there's still a limit to my covert
    channel. But the limit isn't defined by how many nooks and crannies I
    can squeeze my bits into by manipulating timings etc... It's defined by
    how much regular bandwidth I can use without alerting suspicion.

    Once again privacy and protection come head to head. Using encryption
    compromises your network,

    - Blazde