Re: Retransmissions while blocking TCP Stack's RST?

From: Dan Hanson (dhansonat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 13:55:23 PST

    Well, here's an idea off the top of my head.  totally forgetting about
    problems with the ISN numbers (ie, the ISN number that is provided by the
    targetted host won't match the Ack's that your host sends) and IP
    addresses. you would have to mung around with the packets and rechecksum
    them so that they don't get dumped when the checksums don't match.

    You could listen on a network in promiscuous mode, select a non-used IP,
    craft your packets to originate from that IP... the responses will come
    back and nothing will respond... effectively, the app is BECOMING the tcp
    stack. In order to do this, you would have to have root. Additionally,
    (thinking as I type) you will have a few issues regarding ARP, etc.

    As well, Dan Kaminsky had an interesting presentation at BlackHat in
    August regarding multiple computers sharing the same IP address... I can't
    remember all the details, but you may want to check it out to see if he
    has any ideas (it doesn't relate directly, but may provide inspiration).

    Or perhaps I am missing something in what you are attempting to do.

    If you are relaly just going to throw a capture file back at a host, I
    think (but am not certain) that you are not successfully going to get past
    the ISN problems

    I am always open to information that increases my understanding of
    tcp stacks..