REDHAT 8.0 local root

From: overclocking_a_la_abuelaat_private
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 04:17:25 PST

    Today I posted what I think is a possible bug on Redhat 8.0 with Gnome
    desktop enviroment. This should help:

    1)Log on as unpriviledge user
    2)run startx to have a Gnome session
    3)try to start some admin task from X (you´ll be prompted for root
    password)

    Now you have the pam-panel-icon activated. Then try to kill it in this two
    ways:

    1) pkill -9 pam-panel-icon
    2) pkill -15 pam-panel-icon

    A "pkill -9" will not kill the pam-panel-icon. Instead, it will re-appear
    A "pkill -15" will nicely kill the pam-panel-icon.

    This may explain why a logout of Gnome session or a reboot keep the pam-
    panel-icon activated.
    I think this is a dangerous behaviour.

    Hugo Vázquez Caramés
    www.infohacking.com