Strange IE / Windows Behaviour

From: Paul Brereton (paul.brereton@it-security-audit.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 16:03:09 PST

     Guys,

     I noticed that when you request a long url using IE in wither windows
     2000 or windows XP for example:
     http://www.somehost.com/exisingfile.htm?
     aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[about 256 times or so], the webpage takes on a
     different name when saving to disk such as QUFOU28S.htm . This also
     happens when you attemp to download a file with a long url ie: .gif?
     aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa etc,....

     Also, the more aaaaaa's that are appended, the different the response
     is.

     My questions are :

     1.) Is this a small hashing functionality built into windows to
     prevent long filenames from being downloaded and causing problems.

     or

     2.) Is it a screw up in windows? Possibly a buffer overflow?. I have
     noticed that this type of naming is used for some temprorary files.
     What is going on.

     RFCP (Request for comments please) :-)

     Regards,

     Paul.