Bash Blues.

From: uk2secat_private-ip.com
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 06:26:51 PST

    [ Moderator:  Post Edited Accordingly ]

    uk2sec /bin/bash Advisory

    By sending a perl request on the GNU bash terminal we can cause a
    Segmentation Fault.

    Work done was based on:
    	GNU bash, version 2.05a.0(1)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
    	(Redhat 7.3)

    The basis for this advisory is theoretical - Although not a current
    security risk, a technique yet to be developed may allow exploitation.

    Background:

    During some work, I noticed GNU bash could be crashed by sending a
    malformed perl request to the terminal.

    	example:  	`perl -e 'print "*/*" x 3500'`
    			<bash crashes>

    (exact amount is: `perl -e 'print "*/*" x 2338'`)

    This crash overwrites the ecx register on X86 (linux RH 7.3) systems, and
    r23 on HPUX (11.00).

    	X86:  		ecx:	0x2f2f2f2f	791621423
    	HPUX		r23: 	2f2f2f2f00001e6e

    This overflow may allow us to execute arbitrary code with the uid of the
    person who crashes the shell.  Since bash is not suid, this isn't a big
    problem unless a special exploitation method can be created.

    To reproduce the seg fault, you must enclose the perl request with ` ` .

    `  perl -e.... etc..  `       CORRECT
       perl -e.... etc..          DOESN'T WORK

    We have looked at ways to generate an exploit for this, however so far
    nothing 'obvious' has been found.  We tried creating a deep directory
    structure which would be followed by something like a /tmp directory
    watcher, however we are unable to create a directory 3500 folders deep.
    Perhaps something with sym-links could be used to do this, and the
    directory structure could contain our executable asm code.?  Not tested,
    just thoughts.

    Furthermore we found several ways decrese the performance of a linux
    machine to almost a stand still, however that is not part of this
    advisory and can be disabled using resource limits on the server.  For
    more information feel free to contact uk2secat_private-ip.com.

    Thanks for your time,

    uk2sec

    c0wd0g.

    c0w_d0g3at_private