Re: Windows 2000 Static arp not static

From: Bob Fleck (bobat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 12:35:33 PST

    On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 18:53, Tim Habex wrote:
    > When I looked at the arp cache of Linux, the static entry was there and
    > working (?), but on the Windows machine, THE VALUE OF THE STATIC ARP WAS
    > CHANGED. When ethercap was disabled, the static arp entry was returned to
    > the original value.
    As far as I can tell this comes from a difference in what 'static' is
    taken to mean.

    Linux, BSD, (Win XP):  Won't time out.  Won't change based on observed
    ARP replies.

    Win 2k and earlier:  Won't time out.

    So all static means to Windows is keep this value, use it, and don't
    bother to double-check it on a regular basis.  But if an update wanders
    by somehow, update the cache.

    > If this is a known problem, why hasn't this been fixed. If unknown ... is
    > Microsoft reading this? ;o)
    > Can some experienced securityadvisors perform more tests on this? eg. Other
    > (Windows) OSes, other types of attacks.
    This is a known issue. However, XP acts like Linux and other OSes.
    Static keeps it from changing.

    Bob