Re: Apache 2.x leaked descriptors

From: Christian Kratzer (ckat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 13:58:50 PST

    Hi,

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, David M. Wilson wrote:

    > On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:46:59PM -0800, jon schatz wrote:
    [snipp]
    > Ideal permissions on CGI directories do not differ to the permissions on
    > other content directories. I think you may be confused as to what
    > execute permission actually means:

    the point about leaked file descriptors is not about execute permissions.

    Apache 2.0 currently execs cgi scripts / server side includes etc... with
    file descriptors open to all access and error logs on the server and also
    to a couple of internal pipes.

    This means any cgi script can muck around with all access and error logs,
    read them, truncate them, overwrite them or append funny stuff.

    There is a bug in apache 2.0 that prevents closing of these internal resources
    before running the cgi's.

    Thats all.  And thats enough ...

    Greetings
    Christian

    --
    CK Software GmbH
    Christian Kratzer,           Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen