Re: Fwd: Kazaa file corruption

From: Blue Boar (BlueBoarat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 07:17:15 PST

    Russell S/nillion42 wrote:
    >>Problem:
    >>Lack of file checksum in kazaa leads to the ability to
    >>spread corrupted files and corrupt the dowload of any file.
    >>
    >>Method:
    >>By deleting(replacing with hex 00) the data from a mp3
    >>file and leaving the headers you can create a file
    >>which has identical filesize (kazaa checks filesize).
    >>When a kazaa user downloads a file, multiple download
    >>streams can be used, if a stream is created to the
    >>corrupted file, it will make the download useless once
    >>finished not readily appraent until download is complete.

    I haven't looked into why, but I can confirm that I've observed this.  I
    had occasion to download some Red Hat ISOs from Kazaa recently, and the MD5
    sums on 2 of the 5 didn't check out.  On one, the bad section was 0's.  On
    the other, it had a bunch of single-bit errors in one section, the same bit
    position each time.  (Comparison done by using the signed MD5 file from
    RedHat, and downloading intact copies of the corrupted ISOs from a mirror
    site, and then using fc /b .)

    I had been under the impression that Kazaa DID use checksums, just that it
    had some sort of bug, or was trusting the peers, or something.  I thought
    that was what the temp filename was.  (I wouldn't mind someone pointing me
    to any good info about the protocol.)

    Of course, if someone intentionally or accidentally leaves a corrupted file
    lying around, you might download that one on accident.  After all, you only
    get to decide based on name.  For example, suppose I chose ISO 2 from the
    list, and the one I chose was corrupt, I will continue to correctly
    download the corrupt one.  If 5 of the people out of the 50 who have a file
    with the same name and size have corrupt ones, and I've picked that one
    (because I can't tell them apart), Then I would proceed to get the corrupt
    one from up to 5 people, even if some sort of checksum is used.  How could
    you tell the two situations apart?

    This also came up on this list a while ago in regards to the Kazaa program
    itself.  The "Kazaa" you get from downloads.com, etc... is just a stub that
    downloads the real Kazaa from the Kazaa network itself.  Naturally, this
    leads one to wonder if it's possible to slip in your own version.  If
    there's a way to upload modified versions of Kazaa, then hilarity would ensue.

    						BB