Why SUID Binary exploit does not yield root shell?

From: Kryptik Logik (kryptiklogikat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 12:40:17 PST

    Folks:

    I've managed to find a buffer overflow and exploit it to exeve a /bin/sh
    using my payload shellcode. However, whenever I run my exploit, I do get a
    shell but just that it is an ordinary shell under my account (as id would
    indicate).

    The binary that I've exploited is suid bit set so theoretically shouldn't
    it create a root shell? I've tested my exploit on a small sample
    vulnerable program that I wrote with the exact same permissions as the
    binary in the system and I could get a root shell!

    What is the magic here (if any)?

    Thankx in advance,

    # klogik