Windows Shellcode - Using Detached_Process flag

From: helmut schmidt (helmutsch69at_private)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 05:08:40 PST

    Hello,

    I have been testing how make a remote command shell on windows. I have taken
    David Litchfield SLQ exploit code as a basis. ie it does a tcp connect back
    to my attack machine and passes the socket as handles to createprocess
    in/out&error.

    This works OK. But when I close the program that I overflowed on the
    vulnerable machine, my remote shell is also closed.

    To get around this, I have tried setting the Detached_Process flag as the
    CreationFlags parameter passed to createprocess.

    With this flag set, I can close the program on the vulnerable machine
    without closing my remote shell. Success... BUT

    Some commands like DIR work ok, but most others create a windows on the
    vulnerable machine instead of displaying back to my remote shell. For
    instance if I ping another machine, a visible window opens on the vulnerable
    machine - I see the ping results in this window then the window closes. So
    this is only half working.

    Does anyone know why this odd behaviour is happening ? How can I program
    this to be 100% successful ? A bit of c code would be helpful if anyone
    would be kind enough to share it.

    Thanks Helm