Re: su core dumped with signal 3. BSD/OS 3.0, 3.1

From: Peter Pentchev (roamat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 23:19:00 PST

    On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 05:30:03PM -0000, Ivan Aleksandrov wrote:

    > rayd@mtelecom:~$ id
    > uid=127(rayd) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel)
    > rayd@mtelecom:~$ su		<------------- (I send "control symbol")
    > Password:Quit (core dumped)
    > rayd@mtelecom:~$
    >
    > rayd@mtelecom:~$ uname -srm
    > BSD/OS 3.1 i386
    > rayd@mtelecom:~$ ls -la `whereis su`
    > -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  2868 Jan 21  1997 /usr/bin/su*
    > rayd@mtelecom:~$ ls -la su.core
    > -rw-------  1 root  wheel  184320 Mar 11 22:17 su.core
    >
    > root@mtelecom:/usr/home/rayd# gdb --core=su.core
    > GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-bsdi3.0), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation,
    > Inc.
    > Core was generated by `su'.
    > Program terminated with signal 3, Quit.
    > #0  0xa004cbde in ?? ()
    >
    > It is a serious bug?
    > Possible to write exploit? or with signal 3 it's impossible?
    >
    > WTF?

    If the 'control symbol' was Ctrl-\, then this is expected behavior: this
    key combination is *supposed* to send a QUIT signal to the application,
    and the default action on SIGQUIT in all OS's is to terminate the
    process and create a core file.  However, the core file is created as
    the user the application is currently running as: if you cannot read
    root-owned files, you cannot access the information within the corefile,
    thus there is no information leak here (and if you *can* read root-owned
    files, then you already have access to much sensitive information that
    will help you go the rest of the way).

    As to exploiting, no, I don't think you can exploit this: the core here
    is a result of the kernel processing a signal sent to the process, not
    of some overflow or invalid memory access or similar.

    It might be argued that su(1) and similar programs should catch a couple
    of signals and not leave core files lying around, but this is a
    different topic IMHO.  In short, no, you can neither exploit this nor
    gain information from it.

    G'luck,
    Peter

    --
    Peter Pentchev	roamat_private    roamat_private    roamat_private
    I am the meaning of this sentence.