Re: NSLOOKUP.EXE

From: Chris Calabrese (chris_calabreseat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 06:19:04 PST

    Windows XP: *** Input is too long
    Solaris 8: [...]  is not in legal name syntax (label too long)
    AIX 4.3: LEX Error: input string too long to fit in yywtext[].
             Increase the array size by defining YYLMAX to be a higher
    value
    HP-UX 11.00 and 11.11: Memory fault(coredump)

    I'm guessing the bug is in the BIND 4 distribution of nslookup and was
    fixed in BIND 8.

    And no, it does not surprise me that Windows might use the BIND code.

    Patrick Webster wrote:

    >Tested on Windows 2000 Pro, SP3 and all updates.
    >
    >I haven't tested it on XP yet.
    >
    >I get an Input too long error if run through cmd.exe, eg.
    c:\>nslookup.exe AAAAA[..], but if I run nslookup with no args, then
    request AAA[..]AAA it gives the 0x41414141 memory error.

    >If I give nslookup a much larger amount of A's, the response is:
    >
    >(null)    dns.server.net
    >
    >then crashes.
    >
    >-Patrick

    >This correspondence is for the named person's use only.  It may
    contain confidential or legally privileged information or both.
    >No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
    mistransmission.  If you receive this correspondence in error, please
    immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You must
    not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you
    are not the intended recipient.

    >Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
    sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states
    them to be the views of DeMorgan.
    >This e-mail has been checked for known Viruses. It is the
    responsibility of the receiver to check their system for infected files
    and any such file is deemed not to be the responsibility of DeMorgan.