Re: Buffer overflow in Dovecot or OpenSSL?

From: Timo Sirainen (tssat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 07:50:11 PDT

    On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 15:38, 3APA3A wrote:
    > Dear Timo Sirainen,
    >
    > You're right, the fact EIP points inside the stack should indicate large
    > problems.  But  the  string  at EIP doesn't look to be shellcode or it's
    > part.

    Shellcode could have been before or after it, because of stack base
    randomization.

    >  How many entries do you have in the log?

    Just one, which I think means that either the attacker tried not to look
    suspicious, or just that it was some random bug that triggered the first
    time.

    >  Do you have stackdump?

    No, PAX killed it with SIGKILL so I couldn't debug it at all.

    I'm anyway pretty sure that this wasn't caused at least directly by my
    code. There's very few buffers in stack, and they're all written to with
    bounds checking so even corrupted heap shouldn't cause this.