Re: Buffer overflow in Explorer.exe

From: aT4r InsaN3 (at4rat_private)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 04:31:31 PDT

    think about recycler folders

    a readonly directory \recycler\S-xxxxxxxxxx is created for every user in the
    computer and a file called desktop.ini in that folder contains information
    about the icon..
    every time the explorer.exe browse a directory search for desktop.ini placed
    in any subfolder and open and read that file. so, with this buffer overflow,
    if you place a file in c:\test_folder when you browse c:\ explorer.exe will
    crash and a few secs after will be executed again (explorer.exe will
    continue crashing every time an user browse that disk).

    i didnt tested other keys.
    winxp also includes a feature to browse .zip files as folders.... i didnt
    tested it but if an user download a .zip file with an special structure (+r
    folder with a desktop.ini inside) maybe when the user tryies to browse that
    zip file will crash explorer.exe  too  (this is only a supposition , test it
    please).

    regards.

    Andres Tarasco Acuña