Re: Administrivia: List Announcement

From: xenophi1e (oliver.laveryat_private)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 10:06:32 PDT

    This is a very good idea. This mailinglist is a good resource, but it
    could be a little more 'fun'...

    I'll take a whack.

    >We'll kick this off with the first challenge, which was devised by Aaron
    >Adams:
    >
    >        strncpy(buf2, p2, SIZE);

    Off-by-one. Third arg should be SIZE-1 to leave room for the terminating
    NULL. This error should lead to a heap based vulnerability when the
    memory is free()d.

    >        for (i = 0; i <= SIZE && p1[i] != '\0'; i++)

    Condition should be < SIZE. <= SIZE leads to the same vuln as above. This
    is also a shabby way to copy a string on architectures with a bigger word
    size than 8bits. The number of ops can be reduced by copying through a
    32bit register and then using 8bits for the remaining < 4 bytes.

    Cheers,
    ~ol