Re: Administrivia: List Announcement

From: Wynn Fenwick (wynn.fenwickat_private)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 13:43:56 PDT

    Xeno nailed that one but here's something I wondered...

    The program uses malloc() then iterates through each memory location,
    assuming that malloc() would give them a contiguous block of memory.

    >        for (i = 0; i <= SIZE && p1[i] != '\0'; i++)
    >                buf1[i] = p1[i];

    I believe there is an (incorrect) assumption that the memory returned
    by malloc() on Win32 is contiguous, unlike some UNIX boxen? Is there a
    neato non-portability vulnerability created by iterating through the
    string elements this way? or is it only vulnerable if you do something
    like this:

      char* p;
      p = &buf1;
      while (*p != '\0') buf1[i++] = *p++;

    Wow... I haven't written C in a long time... I hope I don't embarrass
    myself...