Re: N00b questions :\

From: northern snowfall (dbailey27at_private)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 19:54:14 PDT

    >Oh yeah ... true. But isn't this 32-bit on the ia32? GCC 3.x allocates
    >way more than is neccessary to have it aligned. The vulndev-2 buffer of
    >90 bytes should be 92 right? But gcc allocates 108. Why does it do this
    >extra padding then?

    92 (buf) + 4 (f1) + 4 (bfp) = 100
    The extra eight is presumably optimization padding for
    pending calls. However, I'm not definite on that, since,
    I don't run GCC3 and can't currently view the generated asm
    to say that is likely.
    An older version (2.95.3 on NetBSD) seems to consistantly
    add 20 octets. So, maybe it is just bad programming on the
    part of the GNU team.
    Don
    http://deadchildren.org/~north_