Re: strcpy bug

From: xenophi1e (oliver.laveryat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 07 2003 - 11:34:59 PDT

    >The windows "Search for files and folders" utility will search binaries
    and
    >can often find the linkage names of functions and dlls they call.  None

    *Lol*. I never would have thought to use the pretty GUI with the little
    doggie for anything like this. But of course, it's really just a not-so-
    good strings / objdump | grep.

    >Bah.  That 0x104 in the size field of the result string from the
    >RtlUnicodeStringToAnsiString call not only protects the stack frame, it
    also
    >stops us feeding too long a string through the W version to the A
    version.
    >D'oh.

    Yeah, another obvious problem I realised after posting is that MAX_PATH
    on windows is 260 / 0x104. So the overflowable buffer is MAX_PATH
    characters long. There's some protection since applications that are well
    written probably won't call a file open sort of function with a filename
    longer than MAX_PATH. Of course we all know how many applications are
    actually well written...

    >So I guess the answer to your question is "Potentially, IE, OE, MSHta.exe
    >and anything else that uses the IE browser engine.  Font-face style tag
    >perhaps?

    Hmm, that's a good analysis, thanks. I'll have to have a lookse at
    t2embed.dll the next time I sit down with IDA.

    Cheers,
    ~x