Sphera Hosting Director Control Panel Multiple Vulnerabilities: XSS-Session Hijacking-DoS/Buffer Overflow-Another User Accounts access

From: Lorenzo Manuel Hernandez Garcia-Hierro (securityat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 07:56:50 PDT

    --------------------
    Product: SPHERA HostingDirector and Final User (VDS) Control Panel (
    Hosting Control Panel )
    Vendor: SPHERA
    Versions:
             VULNERABLE

             - 3.x
             - 2.x
             - 1.x

             NOT VULNERABLE

             - ?
    ---------------------

    HostingDirector comprises three fundamental components that are
    integrated to provide rich offerings, maximum control for resellers and
    site owners, and easy, centralized administration of shared and dedicated
    environments running on Linux and Microsoft Windows®.

    SECURITY HOLES FOUND and PROOFS OF CONCEPT:
    ----------------
    | XSS in LOGIN |
    ----------------

    I encountered  XSS ( Cross Site Scripting ) vulnerabilities in the
    SPHERA's product called Hositng Director , located in the vds ( user of
    hosting plans ) control panel.
    The problems , i think , are related to form tag closing by url code
    injection and the input validation system
    ( there aren`t any ). In addition the success_msg variable ( in internal
    scripts ) is vulnerable to XSS too.
    With this you can insert html and script code by url command passing like
    this:
    _______________________
    XSS IN THE LOGIN FORM:
    -----------------------

    http://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/login/sm_login_screen.php?uid=">[XSS
    ATTACK CODE]

    http://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/login/sm_login_screen.php?error=">
    [XSS ATTACK CODE]

    http://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/login/sm_login_screen.php?error=[XSS
    ATTACK CODE COMBINATED WITH OTHER VARIABLE FOR EMULATE A REAL ERROR
    LIKE "EITHER PASSWORD OR USER ARE INCORRECT , RE-FILL IN" FOR STEAL THE
    USER DATA]

    http://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/login/login_screen.php?vds_ip=[VDS
    DOMAIN OR IP]&uid=">[XSS ATTACK CODE]&tz=[TIMEZONE CODE , TRY CEST]
    &vds_server_ip=">[XSS ATTACK CODE]

    --------------
    |   SAMPLES  |
    --------------

    https://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/login/login_screen.php?vds_ip=[VDS
    DOMAIN OR IP]&uid="></form>here%20comes%20your%
    20attack<h1>&tz=CEST&vds_server_ip=">Here%20comes%20your%20XSS%
    20Attack&error=Either+user+or+password+are+incorrect+,+please+re-fill+in+.

    https://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/login/sm_login_screen.php?
    uid="><h1>XSS%20!

    ------------------
    | COMMUNICATIONS |
    | ENCRYPTION     |
    ------------------

    Sphera uses an "insecure" communications data encryption ( DES (16) ).
    DES is a not very secure algorithm ( i think ).

    In addition the control panel scripts don't check if you are using the
    https protocol and allow you to use based http connections on port 80 (
    without SSL ).

    ----------------
    |  SESSION     |
    |  HIJACKING   |
    ----------------

    This is a very interesting thing in Sphera Hosting Director VDS Control
    Panel ,
    if you don't close a session in the control panel , the session is saved
    all the time that you use the cookie and the system
    don't close the session if you don't close with control panel !.
    This can be a big security problem if an attacker generates a session id
    randomicing control.

    I explain it:

    if the first session id  that you received is this :

    xx01xx01xxX

    and the next session id is..

    xx01xx02Xxx

    The first session id only differs in two parts with the second session ,
    this indicates a poor session id randomicing...
    the attacker can generate  a profile analyzing the random session
    generating and make an algorithm or script for make valid
    sessions , this can be used for enter the system only changing the USER
    ID value and you have access to the system with
    the USER ID permissions ! ;-)

    I think in another possibilty generating session id randomicing profiles
    like monitoring the use of resources and the stack
    blocks but this is very difficult for remote users.

    The remote method is not very easy but very possible.

    --------------------
    |  BUFFER OVERFLOW |
    |   AND DoS        |
    -------------------

    I found some possible buffer overflows and Denial of Service attacks .
    Some php files used by the vds control panel environment can conduct
    denial of service attacks to the installation server.
    Other php files can conduct stack attacks by url-based variable hacking
    and command injection.
    You can enter some crafted urls spoofing th variables and your referer
    for make actions in other user accounts.

    -
    Some Proof of Concepts
    -
    http://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/dev/VDS/submitted.php <-- This is a
    Sphera Control Panel global used php file

    and this file can be used for conduct DoS and Buffer Overflow attacks to
    the [TARGET] server with Sphera VDS Control Panel installed in
    [INSTALLATION PATH] , i tell you some samples:

     Make a connection in POST mode and request this:

    http://[TARGET]/[INSTALLATION PATH]/dev/VDS/submitted.php?[TARGET USER]
    \activeservices\http||watchdog_running=[false]
    &restart_vds=on&success_msg=Remote USER VDS restarted trough this kind of
    attack

    I think that the system checks your referer for authenticate the
    request , but you can spoof it easier.

    With this kinf of attacks you can make actions in other users hosting
    accounts like password changing , virtual server restarting watch dog
    deactivating and other features ;-) .

    -------------------------
    | CONCLUSIONS AND NOTES |
    -------------------------

    All the urls that use the xss affected variables (
    uid,vds_ip_server,error,success_msg) input are affected by this hole.
    User data and cookies can be stolen by this without permission.
    In some conditions we can pass server-based commands.
    The server can pick up sending specially crafted urls and input values
    with too long buffers.
    We can make a session hijacking.
    We can revelate private info and DES(16) encypted communications.
    We can  spoof the USER ID value in cookies and url values for make buffer
    overflow attacks and take the target user id permissions.
    on the system.
    We can modify other user accounts and make actions remotely with our
    valid account sending spoofed requests.

    | CONTACT |

    Lorenzo Hernandez Garcia-Hierro