EXEC SHIELD - new Linux security feature

From: Juan Uys (juanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 01:11:28 PDT

    Good day Vuln-dev, (this is my first posting ;)

    <quote>
    The exec-shield feature provides protection against stack, buffer or
    function pointer overflows, and against other types of exploits that
    rely on overwriting data structures and/or putting code into those
    structures.
    </quote>

    Article link:
    http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=5248
    Kernel patch (2.4.20-rc1):
    http://redhat.com/~mingo/exec-shield/

    This seems promising, and I'm going to play around with it this weekend.
    Has anyone checked this out yet? And, what are your views?

    Have a good weekend,

    Juan Uys