Re: IE exposing URLs to msn.com and alexa.com?

From: Nicolas RUFF (lists) (ruff.listsat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 03:49:17 PDT

    > Has anyone been able to verify this?
    > http://www.secunia.com/advisories/8955/

    This has been known for a long time: you can check that Ad-Aware
    (http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/) detects "Alexa" as a spyware,
    even in a fresh clean installation of Windows XP.

    However I disagree with this because the user has to use the "show
    related links" feature on a volontary basis, and no personal information
    (like email address) is sent.

    You can also check that using the "Search / Internet" menu in Windows XP
    1/ Connects to msn.com
    2/ Is ad-sponsored ...

    If you want to know more, I advised you to read the following paper :

    "Using Windows XP Pro SP1 in a Managed Environment :
    Controlling Communication with the Internet"
    http://technet.microsoft.at/includes/file.asp?ID=4668

    I guess you would be surprised ...

    Regards,
    - Nicolas RUFF