Help with this.

From: Agent Smith (shade_rendererat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 10:21:37 PDT

    I'm starting to do win32 exploits and shellcoding, but I hit a problem when
    a supposed vulnerable program won't segfault when run on my machine.

    I wrote it in dev-cpp's ide with console mode template. When run on command
    line on windows 2000 professional;

    [ the A's were on the commandline, email client put it below]

    C:\sources\vuln1
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                           [pretty sure it was sufficient]

    C:\sources\

    When finnished running, there is nothing; no output, no errors, no pop-up
    boxes. Tried it as a regular user and as administrator.

    However, when run with the same arguments on windows millenium, a standard
    pop-up comes up stating that vuln1 has caused an error in <unknown> module
    and will be shutdown. No detail button on the dialog though.

    vuln1.c
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>

    int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    char buffer[30];

    if(argc > 1)
    {
    strcpy(buffer, argv[1]);
    }

    return(0);
    }

    Maybe dev-cpp changes the way strcpy functions? Or win2k works way diferent
    than I expect? I've done exploits with linux and bsd, and to my knowledge
    this should be the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.