is it even possible for a worm with dcom vuln?

From: wirepair (wirepairat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 10:09:12 PDT

    After the release of the few exploits which take advantage of the dcom / rpc vulnerability I began thinking to myself how this
    could
    possibly be turned into a worm. The exploits that have already been written use hard coded offsets for the different sp's/os's. So
    this would not work for a worm template. Also it requires a few requests so this would not be a very fast worm in theory. Also
    after
    the service is exploited the service fails. I could see a few issues with a 'universal offset' for a jmp esp/call esp or any other
    way
      to get the worm instructions to begin executing. The vast differences in operating systems could make the threat of this being a
    worm
      smaller in my mind. With the IIS worms (code red) they had it easy because the service would just restart itself, and is only
    attacking one particular version with the same base addresses. So I guess what I'm asking is, is it even feasible to write a worm
    for
      this particular vulnerability? I would imagine the worm would need to be pretty advanced in finding the correct offsets prior to
    exploitation, without crashing svchost.exe. Now I am in no way down playing the threat of this vulnerability and I find it to
    probably
    be the largest thing to ever hit windows. I just want to hear other peoples thoughts on this subject. Or a worm could attack a
    single
    operating system/sp but that wouldn't be nearly as damaging as a worm that could attack all versions of windows (nt4-win2k3) and
    sp's.

    Any thoughts?
    -wire
    --
    Visit Things From Another World for the best
    comics, movies, toys, collectibles and more.