Re: Password Cracking Challenge...

From: Vizzy (vizzyat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 01:22:18 PDT

    Monday, July 28, 2003, 2:42:07 AM, you wrote:

    RM> I'm not sure whether to send this to Security Basics
    RM> or to Vulnerability Dev list, the moderator will
    RM> surely tell me ;)
    trying to make secure authorization, eh?

    RM> If so, what would the hash for the password: Fir88x!t
    RM> Password321 - D5FBB0C7C20D9CE74407A5B354A6D6F1
    RM> Pa$$word321 - 8C4A8322764A87E62F90455FEA1F23B5
    i would think:
    hash1 = f(first 8 chars),
    hash2 = f(hash1 ^ (next 8 chars)),

    but password guessing.. who needs that? and, moreover,
    in wrong(rarely used) direction?

    with that much of information (or even whether one
    can try unlimited passwords/responses) you are safe unless your
    cryptoz are known and tested against possible attack methods.

    but just allow someone to look inside your software to determine
    what algorythms used, and generation of those hashes from passwords
    will be reproduced in a matter of seconds.

    --
    have phun,
     Vizzy