Re: Analyze binary for holes

From: DownBload (downbloadat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 15:19:18 PDT

You can use strings for easy finding potential vulnerable functions.
# strings /bin/ls | grep strcpy
# strings /bin/sh | grep sprintf
# strings /bin/tralalal | grep syslog
# strings /bin/format   | grep fprintf
If potential vulnerable function is found, you only know that function is
used, but you don't know if that function is used in wrong way.
Try to disassemble with gdb and look for flaws or brute force args and env.

Regards,
DownBload / Illegal Instruction Labs