RE: Bug in Norton FireWall 2003

From: nowak.aat_private
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 14:15:21 PDT

    > I suppose a simple defense for "personal firewall" vendors against this sort
    > of thing would be to use hard-to-guess window titles for their popups...

    Hello,

    This simple defense may not be enough, as there are ways to find out the names
    of all "child" windows belonging to specific process.

    Regards,
    Andrzej

     Internet Mail Message
     Received from host:      [205.206.231.26]

    From: Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcikat_private> on 08/11/2003 07:24 PM GMT

                      Michael Wojcik           To:   vuln-devat_private
     <Michael.Wojcikat_private>           Cc:    (bcc: Andrzej Nowak-A/PGI)
                                       Subject:      RE: Bug in Norton FireWall 2003

                 08/11/2003 03:24 PM

    Ah, machine translation.

    A cursory glance through the VB source [see original message] suggests that
    the proposed exploit is to have a trojan recognize the firewall pop-up
    asking if the trojan should be permitted network access, and spoofing the
    user input to grant it.  Simple enough.

    There appears to be a bug in the included source:

    > Private Sub wHideShow(HideShow As Boolean)
    >
    > Dim hwnd As Long
    > hwnd = FindWindow(vbNullString, "Norton Personal Firewall")
    > 'if not found then..
    > If hwnd = 0 Then
    > Exit Sub
    > End If
    > 'if not hidden - hide, else - show
    > If HideShow Then
    > ShowWindow hwnd, SW_SHOW
    > Else
    > ShowWindow hwnd, SW_SHOW
    > End If
    >
    > End Sub

    Presumably one of "SW_SHOW" should be "SW_HIDE".  Since wHideShow is never
    used by the program, and "HideShow" is not exactly a meaningful parameter
    name, it's hard to guess which.  Then again, since wHideShow is never used,
    it doesn't really matter.

    --
    Michael Wojcik
    Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus