[VulnWatch] KSpynix ::: the Unix version of KSpyware? (Proof Of Concept)

From: khaalel (khaalel@private)
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 02:27:58 PDT

Since KSpyware was on the net, i received some mails of people who
wanted to know if spywares under Unix systems could be coded.  I did
some search on the net to find an unix spyware, but i found nothing.
So i launch my freebsd box and i started to code an unix spyware :
like under windows systems, spywares under Unix systems can be easily
coded but its long (i coded KSpynix during 5 hours) because we have to
find the right conf files.

So KSpynix is only a proof of concept but it work well : i tested it
under FreeBSD 5.3 (like i don't use Linux i can't tell you if all the
code work under Linux but i know it will work well under Gentoo Linux
that use the system of ports like the BSD systems).

For the moment, KSpynix can  list all the installed programs, can spy
the web sites the victim visited, can obtain a list of e-mail
adresses, cookies, can hijack Opera's main page and can do the things
you want if the victim have root powers (like copy the /etc/htpasswd
file).

All the glaned informations are put in a repertory, to send the
repertory, the spyware could create a shell script that would use sftp
or other tools.

Well, here is KSpynix's code cource (in Python) :
http://nzeka-labs.com/hacking/KSpynix.htm

KSpynix is under GPL so:
"You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source
code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously
and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice
and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to
this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other
recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the
Program." BUT DON'T TRY IT ON THE WEB.

- Nzeka Gilbert aka Khaalel
- www.nzeka-labs.com
- Author of the french security book: "La protection des sites
informatique face au hacking".