[VulnWatch] Re: Problems with the Oracle Critical Patch Update for April 2005

From: Cesar (cesarc56@private)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 14:36:28 PDT

Hi all, David:

We always test Oracle patches against the bugs we have
reported to them just to be sure the patches work.
Last time there was not exception and we tested it and
it seemed to work to fix the bugs including SQL
Injection vulnerabilities in DBMS_CDC_SUBSCRIBE and
         DBMS_CDC_ISUBSCRIBE packages, so we were
surprised with David post, after some analysis we have
identified that on Oracle 10g systems with patchset 2
(10.1.0.4) applied (we tested the patch on this system
after April CPU relase) the Critical Patch Update for
April 2005 works ok fixing SQL Injection
vulnerabilities in DBMS_CDC_SUBSCRIBE and
DBMS_CDC_ISUBSCRIBE packages but on systems prior
patchset 2 (10.1.0.2 and 10.1.0.3) it doesn't work.
Oracle is not willing to respond any email in order to
clarify what we have found.

Important:
Tomorrow Oracle is releasing a new security patch, i
personally recommend that you shouldn't install that
patch on production systems before properly testing it
for a couple of months or more since as we have seen
Oracle doesn't have QA so you have to do it by
yourself. Also consider buying another database server
software if you want to be secure, unless you want to
have CardSystems luck.

This exploit could help you to detect if you are still
vulnerable after applying the April CPU:

http://www.argeniss.com/research/OraDBMS_CDC_SUBSCRIBEExploit.txt

BTW: Don't miss these talks at Black Hat if you want
to know more about Oracle (IN)security:

http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-05/bh-usa-05-speakers.html#Cerrudo
http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-05/bh-usa-05-speakers.html#Fayo

Cesar Cerrudo