[VulnWatch] XSS & Header Injection in Drupal and vBulletin

From: Paul Laudanski (zx@private)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 16:34:07 PST

A fake image header with actual html body content was able to get past
phpbb's input validation.  An exploit was issued for phpbb a month ago and
that sparked me to check some other webapps.

vbulletin 3.5.0 forum file attachments did not sanitize against this, as a
result Jelsoft quickly issued release 3.5.1 as a fix.  Other branches were
also fixed up to 3.0.10 and 2.3.8.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=1002384

"The first flaw is in Microsoft Internet Explorer. It affects vBulletin
image uploads and potentially opens a cross-site-scripting exploit. It has
affected many web-based applications that allow image uploads, including
phpBB and Hotmail. Although a fix from Microsoft would be preferable, we
have implemented a work-around in all three branches of vBulletin to
prevent the Internet Explorer flaw from being exploited."

drupal 4.6.3 was also tested and found to be vulnerable as well.

http://drupal.org/node/39355

"Paul Laudanski informed us that it's possible to attach files that are
able to run Javascript under Internet Explorer.

Further investigation of the problem revealed that the same method can be
used to inject arbitrary HTTP headers."

Subsequently, all branches were fixed up to: 4.5.6, and 4.6.4.  However,
PHP 4.3.0 is also required in this solution.

Credit: CastleCops.com
--
Paul Laudanski, Microsoft MVP Windows-Security
[de] http://de.castlecops.com