[VulnWatch] Microsoft Windows Vista Slideshow Unspecified Blue Screen Of Death Vulnerability

From: Micha³ Majchrowicz (mmajchrowicz@private)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 12:20:07 PST

It seems that Vista has some problems with ATI drivers.
It was already reported that file atikmdag.sys can cause BSoD after leaving
the game (http://leovilletownsquare.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/17600/).
Today user with nickname Olo contacted my and by making some tests we where
able to determine that there are more problems with this driver and Vista.
We where using this configuration:
http://sectroyer.110mb.com/vuln/hardware.jpg
Everytime you try to turn on the slideshow with a JPG file in the folder you
get BSoD (http://sectroyer.110mb.com/vuln/vista_bsod.jpg).
You can test it by turning on the slideshow in the following directory:
c:Windows\Web\Wallpaper\
Since this case cannot be connect with 2d-3d mode changes it seems that
there is some vulnerability directly in Windows Vista which cause this BSoD
in atikmdag.sys (ATI Kernel Driver). This vulnerability can be used as a DoS
but Code Execution haven't been confirmed or denied.
Regards Michael Majchrowicz.